Train Your Mind Like a Muscle
I remember growing up, my grandpa always told me that my brain is a muscle and I need to exercise it daily. As a kid that was in reference to school studies, crossword puzzles, reading a book, being strategic in sports or simply doing a craft.
As an adult, this thought process has taken on a whole NEW meaning in acknowledging that our brain is a muscle and we need train it properly so we can FOCUS on tasks ahead of us. Now when we think of training our muscles, our mind typically jumps to exercises focused on muscle groups. The same thought process can be applied to our brain.
Here are a few tips (exercises) to help stay focused and increase productivity:
1. Prepare Your Brain
- Take a moment to breathe and prepare yourself and your mind. Breathing helps relieve stress.
- FORGET MULTI-TASKING! It is proven that multi-tasking is NOT as efficient as many think. In reality, ‘multi-tasking’ means changing focus from one thing to another hastily. The more you switch, the more energy you use – the more energy you use, the less you stay focused on what is at hand.
- Write a list. Creating a list helps you keep on track and sets the parameters for your day, week and month. This also can create a better space for you truly to be strategic in your accomplishments.
2. Set the Tone of Your Environment
- Make sure your space is clean and comfortable.
- Ensure the temperature in the room is set between 68-71 degrees. According to a study, this will increase productivity.
- Turn on the music! A recent study shows that listening to music also increases focus and productivity. This also helps drown out unexpected background noise that can so easily distract.
3. Unplug from Your Social Distractions
- Put your cell phone on “do not disturb.” Do not let phone calls, text messages and social network notifications distract you. You can set it down and not look at it for at least 30 minutes at a time.
- Do not be afraid to step away as well. Take short breaks or go workout. Allow yourself space to come back to your task at hand with a clear mind and complete focus. Don’t wear out your muscle as that will bring productivity down.
4. Chew Gum
- A recent study states that chewing gum boosts brain performance! Who knew?!This might sound crazy, admittedly this is something I do often, but only recently learned the actual science behind it. Scientific American also released their 60-Second Science on how “Chewing Gum May Improve Concentration.” Now begs the question, what’s your favorite type of gum?
As we make an effort to be mindful of how to better focus and train our mind like a muscle with the above exercises, we also want to feed your body with proper nutrition and superfood essentials. In honor of Earth Day this month, enjoy 30% off our Essential 10 Superfood Super Greens. Use promo code GREENS30 at checkout – now until 4/30/18.
*Please place Essential 10 Superfood Super Greens in your cart prior to using promo code.